Installing CVX on ARM-architecture Macs-- any known issues?

Hi everyone,

I’m thinking of retiring my trusty old machine and upgrading to one of the new Apple Silicon (i.e., ARM architecture) Macs. As such, I was wondering if anybody has any experience installing CVX on these newer machines. Specifically,:

1. Is it possible to install CVX at all? I’m familiar with the (rather tedious) process of installing CVX on my current Intel Mac (as detailed by Michael Overton in Installing CVX on a new Mac); are there any additional steps or showstopping roadblocks involved with the Apple Silicon Macs?
  2. Given that MathWorks has not yet released a native version of MATLAB (AFAIK it runs in emulation via Rosetta), how big is the performance hit relative to similarly specced Intel machines?

Cheers!

Update: I got to try an M1 MacBook Air kindly loaned by a good friend: CVX works exactly as expected, no issues in installation. The speed is actually much faster than my previous machine (which isn’t surprising given that it is 11 years old!).

Hello. I am trying to install CVX 2.2 on native Matlab 2023b for Apple Silicon. The machine I am using is an iMac M1 chip with the Ventura Mac OS. I got the below error. I have tried the solutions suggested in this topic Installing CVX on Mac new with M1 chip but not successful. I would highly appreciate it if someone could suggest a solution to this. Thanks.

ERROR: one or more MEX files for this platform are missing.
    These files end in the suffix ".mexmaca64". CVX will not operate
    without these files. Please visit
        http://cvxr.com/cvx/download
    And download a distribution targeted for your platform.
Preferences: none found; defaults loaded.
    UNEXPECTED ERROR: ------------------------------
    Unrecognized function or variable 'command_str'.
    Error in cvx_license
    Error in cvx_license
    Error in cvx_version (line 309)
            cvx_license( args{:} );
    Error in cvx_setup (line 20)
        cvx_version( '-install', varargin{:} );
    ------------------------------------------------
Please report this error to support, and include entire output of
CVX_SETUP in your support request.

Edit: After reading the posts on the forum, I think that CVX currently does not support the native Apple silicon Matlab version. So, if you want to use CVX on Apple silicon machines, just install a MATLAB Intel chip version, and your macOS is still about to run it via Rosetta. Perhaps future versions of CVX will natively support Apple silicon Matlab. More details can be found in this post CVX setup failure on MacOS + MATLAB R2023b pre-release

CVX is not under active development, and there will likely be little, if any, future development. I wouldn’t hold out much hope that there will ever be a native M1 version of CVX.

Update. There now is a native release of CVX for M1, as described, and with download link, in Announcement: CVX for Apple Silicon