Per ChatGPT, using MATLAB (and by extension, CVX) does not make you a fossil

MATLAB seems to be on the decline. CVXPY is under active development; CVX is not. Julia (with Convex.jl) is up and coming. The CVX developer, @mcg, mainly deals with Python nowadays. With that as background:

Me to ChatGBT:

If I use MATLAB, does that make me a fossil?

ChatGPT:

MATLAB (MATrix LABoratory) is a widely-used programming language and software for technical computing, including data visualization, numerical analysis, and algorithm development. It has been used in a wide range of industries, including engineering, finance, and science for many years. It’s known for its powerful tools for data analysis and visualization, which makes it a popular choice for many users.

The use of a specific tool or programming language does not define a person, so one’s choice of using MATLAB to perform their work or academic research doesn’t make them a “fossil” at all. As technology and programming languages evolve, some may become more popular or obsolete, but people who have experience with a specific tool or language may continue to use it because it meets their needs or they are familiar with it.

It’s also worth noting that, MATLAB is still widely used and is still being updated and improved by Mathworks (the company that developed it) and it’s not considered obsolete.

Maybe ChatGPT has been fine-tuned to try to look at the bright side or sponsored by Mathworks. :joy:

1 Like