Wrong host id for academic licence

I try to get my academic license. to do it I need to provide Host ID .
when I run cvx_version I get that the host id is:
Host ID: 00000000000000e0 (net1)
but when I try to fill it in the license request is says that the host ID should be 11 characters.
I also see that mine ends with (net1) while in the example it ends with (en0).

I’m afraid CVX Professional won’t work on this computer if it can’t secure a standard Ethernet host ID. The standard version of CVX will continue to work however.

I am having the same problem with cvx_version returning a host ID that does not seem to be a “standard Ethernet host ID.” Here’s the output that I get with the input “cvx_version”:

CVX: Software for Disciplined Convex Programming ©2014 CVX Research
Version 2.1, Build 1110 (66e9a9c) Wed Jun 10 21:43:38 2015

Installation info:
Path: C:\Program Files\CVX\cvx
MATLAB version: 8.5 (R2015a)
Java version: 1.7.0_60
Verfying CVX directory contents:
No missing files.
Preferences:
Path: C:\Users\Edward\AppData\Roaming\MathWorks\MATLAB\cvx_prefs.mat
License host:
Username: Edward
Host ID: 00000000000000e0 (net26)
Installed license:
No license installed.
Other license found:
File: C:\Program Files\CVX\cvx\cvx_license.dat
Also in file: C:\Users\Edward\Downloads\cvx_license.dat
Organization: Bar-Ilan University
License type: academic
Named user: Edward
Host ID: 0000000000e0, 5ce0c5d79f25
Expiration: 2016-12-14 (84 days remaining)
No valid licenses found.
Click here to fill out an academic license request
for the username and first hostid listed above.

As can be seen, I do have an academic license, and I attached the strange Host ID that I’m getting (by merely chopping off four of the leading zeros). The second host ID I’ve attached is the result of a previous installation from a few months ago on the same computer with the same network card. It pulled a valid hostid then, and I’m not sure why it’s having issues now.

Do you have any suggestions on having cvx_version secure a standard host ID? Or could you perhaps point me toward some references that might help resolve this situation? I apologize about the naivety of the questioning, but I’m a bit lost on these matters.

When I run cvx_version to obtain a username and host ID for an academic license, I seem to get an invalid response. Here’s the output that I get with the input “cvx_version”:

CVX: Software for Disciplined Convex Programming ©2014 CVX Research
Version 2.1, Build 1110 (66e9a9c) Wed Jun 10 21:43:38 2015

Installation info:
Path: C:\Program Files\CVX\cvx
MATLAB version: 8.5 (R2015a)
Java version: 1.7.0_60
Verfying CVX directory contents:
No missing files.
Preferences:
Path: C:\Users\Edward\AppData\Roaming\MathWorks\MATLAB\cvx_prefs.mat
License host:
Username: Edward
Host ID: 00000000000000e0 (net26)
Installed license:
No license installed.
Other license found:
File: C:\Program Files\CVX\cvx\cvx_license.dat
Also in file: C:\Users\Edward\Downloads\cvx_license.dat
Organization: Bar-Ilan University
License type: academic
Named user: Edward
Host ID: 0000000000e0, 5ce0c5d79f25
Expiration: 2016-12-14 (84 days remaining)
No valid licenses found.
Click here to fill out an academic license request
for the username and first hostid listed above.

As can be seen, I do have an academic license, and I attached the strange Host ID that I’m getting (by merely chopping off four of the leading zeros). The second host ID I’ve attached is the result of a previous installation from a few months ago on the same computer with the same network card. It pulled a valid host ID then, and I’m not sure why it’s having issues now.

I’m not the first to have this problem, and I posted on the other thread as well. Since I didn’t get a response, I’m trying to start a new topic to see if that will garner any assistance.

Does anyone have any suggestions on having cvx_version secure a standard host ID? Or are there any suggested references that might help resolve the situation? I apologize about the naivety of the questioning, but I’m a bit lost on these matters.

Starting a new thread, I’m afraid, will not help. In fact, I’m going to be merging this into the other thread.

We simply don’t have an answer for you. I don’t know why your Java subsystem, from which this host ID is retrieved, is giving a non-standard result. But I simply cannot issue licenses without a valid host ID. You will have to use a different computer or use the free solvers.

Thank you for the response. Perhaps I’ll try to investigate the Java subsystem or use a different computer.

I met the same question today, and slove it by closing the Tunnel adapter 6to4 Tunneling Pseudo-Interface in WIN10.

1 Like

Oh, now this is a great lead, thanks @luoying.

It is because the hostid of your computer has changed. It may be because you have change your network, from wireless to ethernet or other reasons.
To solve the problem,you can go to http://cvxr.com/cvx/academic/ (my licence is an academic licence), and choose “Add a host ID or username to an existing license”. Then you can receive a mail with the new license that contains the new hostid. Replace the old one the new one. The in MATLAB, run “cvx_setup /path/to/cvx_license.dat”.