Maximizing SINR

(Sunny) #1

Hi,
This is Saleem,

I am using CVX to maximize the SINR of convex optimization problem, the code is showing error, since i tried many times to debug errors. Anyone here can help me?

My designed problem is:
SINR1

CVX code is:

clear,clc %Clear all
P=4;
m=2;
I=eye(m,m)
G= rand(1,m);
cvx_begin
variable W(m,1);

maximize 0;
subject to
trace(G*W) >=0
trace(W) <= P;
cvx_end

Your comments will be high appreciable.

Thanks

(Mark L. Stone) #2

The argument of trace must be square. That requirements applies to MATLAB expressions (i.e., numerical arguments) and to CVX expressions… W is 2 by 1, so trace(W) produces an error message,

I suggest you re-read whatever paper you found this in, and think through what input data makes sense.

Also, note that it is perfectly fine to include the statement
maximize 0;
in your CVX code. However, it does nothing, and can be omitted. maximize 0 (or any constant) , or minimize 0 (or any constant) has the same effect as not having a maximize statement or minimize statement, namely, to specify a feasibility problem, which is solved if any feasible solution is returned by the solver.

(Sunny) #3

This is the actual problem, including two unknown vectors, we can not solve it directly, so i assume one is zero, that’s why max 0;

(Sunny) #4

So according to you a trace will be applied only on square matrix, so instead trace if i am using norm(G*W), it also show errors.

(Mark L. Stone) #5

When G is 1 by m, as you have then G*W is a scalar, so you can take the norm or trace of that (although if G were n by m, with n > 1, it might make a more interesting example). Also, norm (in any norm) can be applied to an argument of any dimension.

If you are getting an error, you need to show a complete reproducible example, with all inputs, and show the complete output, including error messages. You might benefit from brushing up on MATLAB basics before trying to use CVX.

(Sunny) #6

You are exactly right. By considering two unknown variables can i solve this problem in CVX?

(Mark L. Stone) #7

Please be clear exactly what problem you are talking about.

(Sunny) #8

The problem I mentioned above has two unknown variables, can I solve it directly using CVX?